SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability)

All BBEST Partnership schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of students with SEN and are supported by the Local Authority, Kirklees to ensure that all students, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of students with a Special Educational Need/s being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.

Please click here to view the Send Information Report.

The above link relates to the Kirklees Local Offer which gives children and young people aged 0 – 25 years with special educational needs or disabilities, and their families, information about what is available in Kirklees across education, health and social care.

The wesbite covers a wide range of different areas including:

  • SEN support in nurseries and schools
  • Health and Social Care
  • Choices for school leavers
  • Support for parents and carers
  • Income and benefits
  • Things to do where you live

Parents and Carers Questions

1. How will you know if my child needs extra help?

(drop down questions are in red with the corresponding answers in italics).

Speak to Mrs J Fox, the Special Needs Co-ordinator at Upper Batley High School (UBHS). She is very friendly and always happy to help.

We work closely with:

o Staff who are involved on a regular basis with our students

o Specialist professionals to identify specific needs individual students may have.

o Assessment data

We establish a holistic picture of our individual students so that we can meet their needs

You can contact our school at any time and make arrangements to meet with any staff you wish to speak with. Our door is always open.

This depends upon your issue. We will always listen carefully to your concerns and then we can decide on the way forward. This might mean that we need to consult with other professional services. We will always deal promptly with any questions you may have.

2. How will UBHS support my child with SEND?

This depends upon your child’s level of need. All our staff employ quality first teaching strategies to involve every student and to ensure that progress is made. Where students do not make the necessary progression, the SENDCo will plan and oversee further individualised interventions. Your child will get the best support possible.

That is dependent upon the area of intervention which is required by your child. Our school has a wide range of pastoral and learning support personnel who are able to deliver personalised intervention packages.

This could range from:

o supporting your child in the classroom

o working in small groups withdrawn from the class

o highly individualised and 1:1 support.

Members of the teaching staff at parents’ evenings


Our school has a named governor for SEN.

Again, this will depend upon the nature of your child’s need. We match skill with the need of the individual student to ensure continued progression and success.

All teaching staff at UBHS are given time to plan, prepare and review lessons.

We regularly collect and analyse data which indicates where intervention and support is needed with individual students in the classroom. We also monitor behaviour and students’ attitude to themselves as learners to help support emotional well-being

3.How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

All students are provided with individualised programmes where it is seen to be necessary. We really get to know your son.

By adapting timetables and providing targeted interventions, we aim to enable all our students to access a broad and balanced curriculum so that they can achieve their full potential academically and socially.

At UBHS we regularly review the needs of and the provision for individual students. This will involve gathering information from the professionals involved with your child – teachers, support staff and outside agencies. You will be kept informed of developments and consulted about your views of our provision. We value the knowledge which you have about your child and your perception of their needs.

4. How will UBHS and I know how my child is progressing and developing, and how will you help to support their learning?

We continually assess all our students to ensure that they make expected progress throughout the year. This is in the form of half-term/termly teacher assessment which is collated by the data manager and analysed by the SENCo and other relevant staff. We also hold regular Additional Needs Team meetings where there is an holistic approach to the individual students’ well-being and progress.

At our school we hold regular Parents’ Evenings where you can discuss your child with the individual teachers. Additionally the SEN Department hold termly reviews for particular students where the need is deemed to be greater. We also hold reviews of our students who have Individual Education Plans (IEP). Additionally, at UBHS we have an ‘Open Door’ policy where you are welcome to make an appointment at any time to visit the school and speak to any member of staff you wish to.

The regular collection of data is analysed in line with National Standards. Where a student is seen to be struggling, parents/carers will be informed and strategies to support the student will be introduced. In the first instance, this may involve supporting through further differentiation within individual lessons, ensuring that the learning style of your child is recognised. Further strategies employed can be:

o mentoring;

o small group support

o involvement of outside agencies.

All our students carry with them Personal Planners. These can be used as a means of communicating information both to and from school. We also encourage home/school contact via the telephone or email.

You will need to contact the school’s SENDCo during the college day or discuss your child’s needs at Parents Evening.

Learning is planned by individual teachers with support from the SEN Department where necessary. Homework is provided regularly for all our students and advice on how parents can assist is readily available from the school. Where specific learning difficulties occur, parents will be consulted individually.

Your voice can be heard through the Review process both for students with Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP) and students who have Individual Education Plans (IEP).

At UBHS we encourage parents to become involved in our Parent Forum and Parenting Group. We also offer a range of training to support the development of skills and the progress of our students. Please consult the school’s web page for updates.

Absolutely! We would encourage all parents/carers to visit the school and speak to relevant staff. This can be as early as Year 5.

5.What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

We offer a range of diverse support networks. Pastoral Managers/Leaders are attached to each year group. We have trained First Aid personnel and access to the School Nurse. A Games Club runs during lunchtime which SEND and vulnerable students can attend. The school also has a Counsellor for students to meet on a confidential basis.

The school maintains Health Care Plans which are regularly up-dated. However, it is the responsibility of the parent/carer to ensure that inhalers and any required medication is brought in to school. We also require the relevant information on dosage, application or administration clearly identified. The medication must be in-date.


The school operates a Positive Behaviour Policy with all staff adhering to it. This ensures that all students have the opportunity to succeed. We have an Inclusion Room where individual students are provided with meaningful work connected to their lessons and where they are encouraged to reflect on their attitude and behaviour. This facility is designed to avoid students being excluded from their education. We also use Restorative Justice to avoid on-going disputes.


Attendance is monitored closely and absences reported to parents immediately. The school rewards good attendance and believes in making students aware of the direct links between attendance and success. The school works closely with the APSO team where there are incidences of persistent poor attendance.

The voice of our students is important to us and so we have a Student Council. This is made up of a group of students from each Year, who have been democratically elected to represent their peers. They meet regularly and their voice is always listened to and acted on. SEN students are included in the Review of EHCs and IEPs where they present their views on their education and provision offered by the school.

6.What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting, school or college?

We have staff who are qualified in teaching students whose home language is not English. We also have staff dedicated to developing:

o early literacy skills

o speech and language

We access a range of services dependant on the needs of our students. These include:

o The Psychology Service

o Speech & Language Service


o Physical Impairment Outreach

o Visual Impairment Outreach

o Hearing Impairment Outreach

o Physiotherapy Services

o Occupational Health Services

Contact details of Specialist Support Services are available on the Kirklees website.

7.What staff training is in place to support students with SEND?

Training for SEND at UBHS is on-going to ensure that we are fully versed in recent legislative practices. Training is undertaken in accordance with need within the school setting. Our school actively participates in local support networks and has strong links with local primary schools and with UBHS.

Our school is recognised and accredited with acknowledgment of inclusive practices under Investors in People. UBHS has also been validated by the Quality in Careers Standard.

8. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

This depends on the nature of the disability. Every effort is made to include all students but, where there may be health and safety concerns, alternative arrangements are made.

A range of strategies will be employed. These may include:

o 1:1 adult support

o Alternative transport arrangements

o Use of specialist equipment e.g. wheelchairs

Parents/carers are always kept fully informed of school trips. Specific areas of risk are always brought to the attention of parents/carers in letters home with accompanying consent forms for signature. Medical and emergency contact details are always requested. In cases of severe need, parents/carers will always be consulted in person.

9. How accessible is your environment?

Access is available to the ground floor. Where possible we make reasonable adjustments such as changes to teaching rooms for students who are unable to access the upper floors.

Provision is made for students with visual impairment in the form of iPads, relevant apps, enlarged text and changes to font and background.

The school has a toilet for the disabled. We also have Closomat facilities.

We have a number of designated disabled parking spaces.

We have a team of people who can speak a range of languages from the Asian subcontinent.

10. How will you prepare and support my child to join the school, and how will you support them to move on to the next stage of education?

We have close liaison with the primary schools where relevant information is shared about each child’s individual needs. We actively encourage visits to the school prior to transition and offer specialist transition days for SEND students. A Summer School runs during the August prior to students moving in to Year 7.

Preparation for the next Key Stage is embedded into the process of the EHC and IEP Reviews. For students moving on to college, a Transition Review is written in conjunction with the Careers Advisory Service.

The information contained within the EHC is forwarded to next provider.

We liaise closely with the new placement, ensuring that they are provided with the relevant documentation and any other advice or strategies deemed necessary.

11. How are your resources allocated and matched to children with SEND?

12. How are decisions made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

Decisions are reached in consultation with a range of people and services which includes you, as a parent/carer. The decision is a consensus of all interested parties and is made with the best interests of the student at the centre of the process.

You will be asked to provide your views throughout the process.

Through the rigorous assessment process and analysis of data as well as the views of the young person involved.

We actively encourage and welcome parents to be a part of their child’s education. We want you to attend Parents’ Evenings, events which celebrate the success of your child and to support us in every aspect of your child’s education.

14. Who can I contact for further information?

That depends upon the nature of your query or concern. If you have a general concern you can contact the school’s reception and they will put you through to the person who can provide you with the information you need. We operate an ‘Open Door’ policy at UBHS; this means that you can make an appointment to speak with any of the staff involved with your child at a time which is convenient to yourself and the member of staff to whom you wish to speak.

There are a number of people who will be involved with your child and his education. Some of these people include:

o Mrs. J Fox, Senior Teacher linked to the SEND department

o Mrs J Walton, the SENDCo

o Form Tutor

o Year Leader

o Subject teachers

o The pastoral team

o Support staff who are involved in intervention work

If you have any worries or concerns about your child, you can contact any of these people:

o Mrs. J Fox, Senior Teacher linked to the SEND department

o Mrs. J Walton, the SENDCo

o Your child’s Form Tutor

o Your child’s Head of Year

o Subject teachers

o The pastoral team

o Support staff who are involved in intervention work

If you are considering whether your child should join our setting, but require further information or advice, you should contact Mrs. J Fox or Mrs J. Walton. They will be able to arrange for you to visit the school and talk to the relevant people to help you reach the right decision for yourself and your child.

The SEND Coordinator is Mrs J Fox and she can be contacted via the school reception or by telephone on 01924 326343.

Other support services which might further inform your decision about sending your child to us are:

o The SENDCo at your child’s current school

o The Parent Partnership

o The Support Service who currently works with your child and with whom you already have links.

The Kirklees Council Local Offer is found on the Kirklees website.

Children and Young Peoples`s Questions

We identify students with special educational needs (SEN) by looking at lots of different information about you. We will consider your levels of progress compared to those of your year group and children in other schools who are the same age as you. We will speak to all of your teachers and pastoral leaders to establish if you require any extra support with your studies.

If you are worried about your work or feel that you are finding it more difficult than other students in your group, make an appointment to speak to any of your teachers about things which are worrying you. Alternatively, it is okay for you to talk to the SENDCo who is Mrs J Fox

All of your teachers will be aware of your needs and your preferred styles of learning. Work will be structured so that you fully understand what is expected of you to achieve your grades. For example, we may use pictures and diagrams to help support your reading. You may find that you can record information in ways other than writing.

By making your work personal to you, you will find it easier to access your lessons and to make progress.

It depends upon the nature of your need. You may be involved in either a review of your Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC), or your Individual Education Plan (IEP) both of these plans are to ensure that your voice is heard. In other words, you can express your own thoughts and feelings to us.

You will be given time by a member of staff who will listen carefully to you.

You will be encouraged to work independently at some point in all your lessons. You will also be expected to take responsibility for following your timetable and making sure that you have all the correct equipment with you. You will be supported in this by all your teachers, Pastoral Leaders and Learning Support Assistants.

You should talk to any of your teachers if there is something on your mind or causing you anxiety.

Alternatively you can talk to your SENDCo or any member of the Pastoral Team.

How we offer support very much depends upon your problems or difficulties. Because we deal with our students as individuals, it is impossible to be specific about the help we can offer. There are lots of different services and people who we can contact on your behalf if we feel that this is the necessary course of action.

We assess your progress three times/five times each year to make sure that you make progress throughout the year. The information is looked at by the SENCo and other relevant staff. The information will be shared with you by your teachers during lessons and at Parent-Teacher Evenings. Based on the assessment data, you will be set targets for each subject and given strategies to help you achieve these targets.

There is always help and support available from your Pastoral Team. These are people who work closely with each year group to support you to make sure that you are happy and achieving in your lessons.

Well-Being Centre

There is a range of staff who are trained to administer First Aid and medicines which they do in consultation with your parents. A Care Plan is written to support your medical and personal care.

We actively work with the APSO Team to monitor your attendance. Where it is necessary, we can adapt your timetable to support your attendance and also reduce the risk of exclusion. We operate a Positive Behaviour Policy in our school and use it to encourage you to attend school regularly.

Any negative behaviours in school are treated seriously and addressed on an individual basis to make sure that everybody works in harmony.

All staff are regularly updated on SEN and Disabilities provision. This means that we are able to find the relevant specialist help that you may require if we do not have a designated person in our school.

The SENDCo has access to a range of other professionals that support and offer advice where needed. These may include:

o The Psychology Service

o Social Services

o Visual / Hearing / Physical Impairment Services

o Speech and Language Therapy


o Medical Professionals

Our school is recognised and accredited with acknowledgment of inclusive practices under Investors in People.

Every effort is made to include all students in all activities but, where there may be health and safety concerns, alternative reasonable arrangements are made.

A range of strategies can be employed. These may include:

o 1:1 adult support

o Alternative transport arrangements

o Use of specialist equipment e.g. wheelchairs

o Room / Timetable adaptations

The school has a toilet for the disabled. We also have Closomat facilities.

We have a Careers Advisor in school to support your transition to your place of choice for the next stage of your education. We actively encourage visits to your chosen college so that you are familiar with the setting. This school works closely with all the local colleges providing them with any of the information necessary for a smooth transition. When you indicate your preferences related to your career or employment , we take into account the nature of your disability or need and advise you accordingly.